Nominations for Election to Board of Directors of CSTA, 2018-2020 Term
Nominations for the following positions on the CSTA Board of Directors will be accepted beginning November 2017.
- Region 2 Director
- Region 4 Director
- Upper Elementary (3-5) Director
- High School Director
- 4-Year College Director
Directors serve a two-year term beginning July 1 the year they are elected and ending June 30 two years later.
All current members of CSTA are encouraged to participate in the nomination process.
Only complete nomination packets will be considered. Required information and documents:
- Completed Declaration of Candidacy Form (link to form
available in November)
- Your experience with CSTA and your teaching and professional experience.
- Candidate Statement (used in ballot)
- Your Science Education Philosophy (Please address your philosophy of science education, science teaching, and the role of science education in society.) - 100 words maximum
- Your Philosophy and Vision for CSTA (Please address your philosophy about CSTA, its mission and goals, its role in the education community, and your vision for the association.) - 100 words maximum
- Two Letters of Recommendation from CSTA members
- Head & Shoulders Photo (optional - for use with ballot)
- Brief Biography to include in ballot information (250 words maximum)
Nominations will be evaluated by the Nominations Committee, which will select up to two final candidates for each vacant position. Nominees will be evaluated on the following criteria:
Professional Characteristics: Be a science educator and a member in good standing of CSTA; demonstrate a commitment to the improvement of effective science teaching; have a knowledge of the issues facing science education in the state; demonstrate involvement and scholarship in science education; demonstrate knowledge of CSTA and a commitment to its vision and goals; be able to communicate effectively and be a visible spokesperson and strong advocate for CSTA positions; represent the interests and concerns of the members of CSTA. Nominees will be expected to be able to fulfill the duties as described in position descriptions for directors. Directors representing a particular grade level should have adequate experience at that grade level. The Informal Science Education Director must have adequate experience in an organization or institution which conducts science education but is not a school. Regional Directors must reside or work in the region to which they are being elected.
Personal Characteristics: Possess strong leadership skills; possess a high energy level; demonstrate a willingness to make the necessary time commitment to hold a critical leadership position in the association; possess integrity, poise, adaptability, flexibility, a sense of humor, and an appreciation and respect for diversity; possess the ability to create a team effort, build consensus, motivate and involve others, and delegate authority.